28-31 March 2015, EYE Film Institute Netherlands
Twenty years on from the groundbreaking Amsterdam workshop Disorderly Order: Colours in Silent Film, this conference will celebrate this milestone anniversary by providing a new forum to explore contemporary archival and academic debates around colour in the silent era.
The conference is co-organised by EYE, Giovanna Fossati (University of Amsterdam), and the Leverhulme Trust research project Colour in the 1920s: Cinema and Its Intermedial Contexts, run by Sarah Street (University of Bristol) and Joshua Yumibe (University of St Andrews / Michigan State University).
In conjunction with the conference, a new book on silent film colour, Fantasia of Color in Early Cinema by Tom Gunning, Giovanna Fossati, Joshua Yumibe and Jonathon Rosen will be published by Amsterdam University Press and presented at EYE.
The Project presented two screening programs within the Dawn of Technicolor series at the 33rd Pordenone Silent Film Festival, 2014. Films included:
Prog. 1: Color in the 1920s - Colorful Sensations
- [BITS & PIECES 275 - A PRISM] ( DE, c. 1930)
- ROMAN CANDLES (estratto/excerpt) (Master Pictures – US 1920)
- FIGHTING THE FLAMES (estratto/excerpt) (Columbia Pictures Corp. – US 1925)
- KO-KO CELEBRATES THE FOURTH (Red Seal – US 1925)
- HONEYMOON HEAVEN (Sering D. Wilson & Co. Inc. – US 1925)
- COLORING THE STARS: NUMBER FOUR (Joseph B. Harris – US 1926)
- LE HOME MODERNE (Pathé-Cinéma – FR 1929)
- ÉTUDES DE LUMIÈRES (Audibert – FR 1923)
- L’APPARITION (FR? DE?, c.1920)
- CHANGING HUES (The London Press Exchange – GB 1922)
- MOOISTE WAAIERS TER WERELD [The Most Beautiful Fans in the World] (FR 1927)
- COLORFUL FASHIONS FROM PARIS (The McCall Company – US 1926)
- KELLER-DORIAN: FILM GAUFRÉ: SONIA DELAUNAY (FR 1925)
- KLEUR – EN VORMAFSWISSELING OP “CHOO-CHOO” JAZZ
[Alternation of Color and Shape on “Choo-Choo” Jazz] (Studio Joris Ivens – NL 1932)
- MARRIED IN HOLLYWOOD (estratto/excerpt) (Fox Film Corporation – US 1929)
Il colore negli anni Venti – Avventure a colori
Color in the 1920s - Colorful Adventures
- “ON THE TREK” INTO SWAZILAND, SOUTH AFRICA (Prizma – US 1920)
- GEKLEURDE KIJKJES UIT DE GEHEELE WERELD [Colored Views from the
Entire World] (Pathé – FR, 1913-1929)
- THE GLORIOUS ADVENTURE (J. Stuart Blackton Photoplays – GB 1922)
Full details are available in the festival catalog.